- Coulomb's Law. Electric field. And Calculation of electric field.
- Electric flux, Gauss' law and its application in electric field calculation.
- Electric potential and its calculation in various cases.
- Capacitors. Calculation of capacitance. Parallel and series combination of capacitors. Electrostatic energy in a capacitor. Electrostatic field energy. Dielectrics.
- Electric current. Ohm's Law and resistance. Direct-current circuits. Kirchhoff's rules. RC circuits.
- Magnetic field. Force on current conducting conductors in a magnetic field. Motion of a point charge in a magnetic field. The Hall effect.
- Biot-Savart law and its applications. Ampere's law and its applications.
- Faraday's law. Motional emf. Application of Faraday's law. LR circuit. Electromagnetic oscillations, LC and LRC circuits.
- Lens Aberrations, Microscopes and Camera.
- Waves- Simple Harmonic motion, Travelling and Standing waves, Doppler effect.
- Interference of light.
- Diffraction of waves. Diffraction from a single slit. Diffraction grating.
- Polarization of electromagnetic waves.
- Laser basics and applications, Optical effects in crystals, Nonlinear optics-an introductory discussion.
- Elementary discussion on fiber optics.
Prerequisite: PHY 1101